• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Welcome to the saloon, Guest!
    This is the place where you can discuss about anything you want! Well, almost.
    Try to not break any of the Rules whenever you post otherwise the sheriff might lock you down!

Importance of Appearance and Tactics

Richard Maverick

Lance Corporal
Hi!
Since duel formula is not out, does anyone know how much the Appearance and Tactics affects aim?
For example, is it better to put the attributes on Charisma or Dexterity, and rely only on clothes for this skills?

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
This in not official, but after almost 10k duels in which I calculated everything that can be calculated (this means i knew 100% if i broke the tactics/appearance of my opponent), I would say that winning tactics/appearance comparison doubles your aiming. The same happens if you dodge in the area where your opponent hits. You double your dodging. I tried to significantly increase the appearance and I never hit better. I attacked soldiers with over 3k tactics and I hit them better than they hit me, although I had somewhere around 200-300 aspect (almost 3000 difference), so if you have way more appearance/tactics you don't get a bigger bonus. One point over your opponent's tactics/appearance is enough. If the bonus really increases depending on the difference between the appearance and the tactics it means it's an extremely small difference, maybe 10% extra, which is insignificant especially since most of the time you lose aiming/dodging when you try to increase the appearance even more.
In case you wonder how I know what values my opponents have, I always look at the top and calculate. Sometimes I use the fort values, depending on how much hp they have, I know if they have attributes on strength and how much or if they have elsewhere. Sometimes I take their attack/defense value at the fort and calculate approximately how many points they have on aiming/dodging (because these 2 skills don't appear in the top). Depending on the damage I or they deal, I also calculate how many extra points they have on resistance/reflex and vigor/shooting (only if they don't appear in the top). If the opponents don't reskill too often, I write down their build in a notepad and it works very well. I know how to combine items in order to win. For some reason, people don't know how to do that. They either have 1 or 2 sets and that's it. They switch the hats sometimes, but not the full set. Sometimes they try to copy my combinations, but this not always works well for them. (not against me at least)

Guiri

Corporal
I don't really agree that you just need 1 point more than your opponents tactics/appearance. I have found 100 points to greatly improve my hit rate but more than that to make no difference. I believe it's a bit like the resist formula where if you have 1 vigor/shooting more than your opponents total resistance you won't hit full damage but if you have 100 or more you start dealing maximum damage.
What WhyNot says about having different combinations is the most important, you need 4-5 different setups to combat every different opponent setup unless of course the world where you duel is filled with noobs, then you just need 1 set.

I personally noticed tactics/apparence had much more impact at low lvl (not under 125:njub:)
But it is a personnal feeling, considering the power of random, it can even be wrong

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
Guiri, I cannot really contradict you, there is a chance that you are right, but I stand by my opinion. 1 point is quite little and I don't have many duels with such small differences, because it is always possible that the opponent has an improvement with tactics/charisma and it is very risky. As a rule, I have more than 25 points per appearance over the tactic that appears in the top of the opponent (or over the tactic calculated knowing how many points he has in charisma/tactics). Whether it's 25 or over 100, I didn't notice any noticeable differences. The duel is also very random, from 2 duels in which you have the same items (both you and your opponent) and you both have the same targets and the same improvements, so everything is identical, it is possible that in one duel you hit 0/8 and in another 8/8. Yes, I experienced it, it happens extremely rare, but it happens, that's why it's very difficult to test, especially when the opponents make changes. I will try to test 2 duels tonight, one with 25 aspect over and one with 100+, but from what I have noticed so far, the difference would be either non-existent or imperceptible. When I attack a soldier with extremely high tactics and low dodging/aiming values, I also beat him with the bounty hunter's set, not only in terms of damage, but also in the number of hits, which would make me think that if what you say with 100+ points is real, the extra bonus is very small. You have +1 over the opponent's tactics/appearance, you get +100% aiming, you have 100+ points, you get 110% aiming, something like that is possible. I really don't think a bigger bonus is possible, I would have noticed it.

FreeHugs

Lance Corporal
I quite like reading what you have to say as it's usually quite well informed, even if I disagree. But I just cannot bring myself to read all of that.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
TL : DR
Higher appearance/tactics than your opponent?? +100% aiming. (this is what i said)
Guiri agreed, but he said you get more aiming if you have more appearance.
I said this may be true, but only if the extra aiming is very small (like extra 10% aiming alongside extra 100%).

DeletedUser500

I'm fairly sure you just need +1 appearance or tactics to get the 100% (or whatever it is) aim bonus, more Charisma skills doesn't mean more bonus.

DeletedUser500

It's completely top secret, so we'll likely never know for sure, if we haven't been able to definitively work it out by now, although it seems easy enough to test with the right resources... could very well be some secret RNG at play, or could very well ramp up, but I've never felt that in my duels.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
If you get extra 100% aiming when you have 1-99 appearance points over opponent's tactics and only 110% extra aiming if you have 100+ appearance over opponent's tactics, it's quite difficult to test. That's why I calculate only 100% extra aiming regardless of the aspect, it works very well.

Uchiha Madara

Master Sergeant
@WhyN0t This might not be the case but is luck % in your gear helpful? Because I once dueled someone and had calculated everything, more aim more dodge more appearance and yet somehow I managed to lose against a full Lucky clover set , I don't know If I'm really that bad at calculating , it was an offline player that didn't change anything also I was a dueler so he couldn't see it coming even if he was online , or just had the worst RNG or the luck % value comes in play in duels.

PVP is DEAD

Private
@WhyN0t This might not be the case but is luck % in your gear helpful? Because I once dueled someone and had calculated everything, more aim more dodge more appearance and yet somehow I managed to lose against a full Lucky clover set , I don't know If I'm really that bad at calculating , it was an offline player that didn't change anything also I was a dueler so he couldn't see it coming even if he was online , or just had the worst RNG or the luck % value comes in play in duels.
Its RNG system, there is non 100% duel formula only for reflex and toughness. The whole system from the start to hit or dodge is random, then there are some stats to get better your chance to aim or dodge. But random + better chance to dodge when you have better stats in appereance than your opponent tactics is always random because of the base random system...

Thats why you sometimes will loose against lame opponents,it happens to anyone.

If there would be formula like in fort battles for resistance for hit, you would win 100% of your duels and noone would have chance.....

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
It is random, but you can't say having higher values or winning tactics/appearance bonus don't help. I agree that if there was no random at all, the one with higher lvl, more skills or higher ups would always win and it would be boring.

antihero

Private
So, from what i have figured out so far: as guys mentioned before, your ultimate goal is to have more appearance/tactics then your oponent, at the same time have as much dodging and aiming. I wouldnt agree that just one point more in appearance/tactics is enough. IMO, when you and your oponents stats in appearance/tactics are equal (+-10-20 points), you get fairly good chance to hit, but also get hited - some like 50:50. (there comes in a big impact your/oponent stances). Once you brake your enemys appearance/tactics - lets say 30-80 points, you will notice that you are hitting shots easly while your oponent hardly hits a shot or two - also based on stances - rng factor. I believe that this calculation works the same way as resitance in terms of calculating -> difference between appearance/tactics get multiplayed the same way as in resistance. Dont know exact numbers. All above is not science, its my personal believes and experiences. BUT, if you reach certain difference, there is a very low impact of invested points in result - lets say, you break your oponents tactics by 500, but you dont hit any more shots. At the and of the day, this might even get you even weaker. Rather, break enemys tactics for 80 points and rest put in other stats. Also, one point, which is sad, but truth - soldiers in defence are in high advantage....

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
you get fairly good chance to hit, but also get hited - some like 50:50. (
No. This is not true. 1 point is enough, but you can't be sure if you really have 1 point over your opponent's tactics/appearance even if you saw him in top and calculate his build, because of possible buffs, so 16 extra points is quite safe.