• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Welcome to the saloon, Guest!
    This is the place where you can discuss about anything you want! Well, almost.
    Try to not break any of the Rules whenever you post otherwise the sheriff might lock you down!

Dev Blog is back: New year, new battles

DeletedUser500

February 7th, 2023 @Diggo11

As developers, one of the areas of the game we most enjoy working on is fort battles. This year I am pleased to say that changes to them have been placed at the very top of our internal roadmap. Yesterday, we announced our latest efforts, follow-up changes to the attack and defend formulas. Over the next couple of posts, I would like to offer our rationale behind the changes we settled on, as well as show you some of the internal analysis we performed.

After our Christmas holidays, we were immediately given a short brief for the expected changes: raise fort battle rewards (with a particular focus on experience) and adjust the team balance to strengthen the attackers and weaken the defenders. We also examined feedback from the community, whose priorities helped inform the specific design of our changes. In no particular order:
  • Spread rewards more evenly between classes/roles, with a particular focus on adventurers and tanks
  • Increase the competitiveness of lower-level characters on established worlds
  • Balance the teams such that fewer extra attackers over defenders are needed for an even fight
  • Design systems that are more robust against the idiosyncrasies of ever-changing equipment and metas
Previously, we have attempted to address this last point by changing the fort structures to give percentage-based bonuses rather than fixed bonuses. In the upcoming update, we’re expanding this approach to the base bonuses and distance penalty. Currently, your character receives a fixed +25 attack value and +10 defend value bonus. Soon, +15 of that attack value bonus will be converted into a 15% attack value bonus. This is expected to increase the attack value relative to the defend value of high-level characters, advantaging the attackers.

Conversely, this change in isolation would cause lower-level characters to lose some attack value. To offset that, we’re introducing a new ‘beginner bonus’, offering up to +15 attack and defend value bonuses to characters below the level cap. Initially this will scale linearly; for example, if your character is level 125 (half of the maximum), they will receive a +7.5 bonus. We feel this is an improved solution that will also help the survivability of lower-level characters in established worlds.

As mentioned earlier, the distance penalty is undergoing a similar transformation. Here are some simplified comparisons from our help resources:

Shot DistanceOld PenaltyNew Penalty
5 tiles+10 defend value−6.5% attack value
10 tiles+25 defend value−13.7% attack value
15 tiles+44 defend value−20.5% attack value

You may immediately be wondering, why not 10%, 25% and 44%? There are a couple of other major changes here affecting our comparison. Firstly, we’re reducing the distance’s exponent in the formula from 1.4 to 1.2 or, as you may have also seen it written in the past, the squared distance’s exponent from 0.7 to 0.6. This matches how it was previously; in the past we increased it to offset power creep, but now we are reverting that change with the switch to percentage-based bonuses.

Secondly, we will apply the penalty to the shooter’s attack value rather than as a bonus to their target’s defend value. Now our attack and defend value formulas are monomial, we can make this change without affecting the probability of two characters hitting/missing, calculating it behind the scenes in keeping with how players traditionally understand it. However, this change will reduce the difference between the attack and defend values when a high-level character is shot at by a lower-level character, and likewise when a high-level character shoots at a lower-level character.

I will finish this post with another comparison. Imagine two level 150 characters with 697 leadership, 831 aiming and dodging, 591 hiding and trapping, 22 multiplayer attack and 1 sector multiplayer attack, not standing on any structure. They would shoot each other with the following expected values:

Shot DistanceOld Attack ValueOld Defend ValueNew Attack ValueNew Defend Value
1 tile149.248…135.248…159.689…140.248…
30 tiles149.248…251.190…101.291…140.248…

That’s all for now! We hope you like our changes so far and look forward to hearing your feedback. There is still a little more time set aside for further fort battle changes so keep attending those battles and help us to help you. Please let us know if you found this post interesting and we may share some more insights about the little utils we developed to analyse our data and the change proposals.

sydnye.jpg

DeletedUser500

Fort battle changes so far

Experience:
We have increased the maximum experience you can get per battle (to a maximum of 18k). Also we changed the formula to give more points for adventurers and absorbing damage.

Please note that now it is scaled by the median level of players in the battle, rather than your own level.
In the future, it is possible to implement further changes to the way experience is calculated during fort battles.

Distance formula:

We have changed fort battle formula. The Distance Penalty has been changed to be percentage based (like structures) but with a lower number than before. We have lowered the base value of the attack value (+10 instead of +25) but added a 1.15x multiplier.
And finally, to both the attack and defend value, there will be a base bonus of +15 that scales down to 0 as you level up.

The new formula can be found below:
new_fb_formula.png

DeletedUser500

Discussion: It's great to see the dev blog back, it's really insightful and this level of communication is refreshing from InnoGames, especially on such a vital issue for the game.

18k maximum exp is amazing, for lower levels catching up to the level cap in the old level 150 days - I guess we're all still adjusting to the new way of things, but I do think the exp could/should be even higher for 150+ because 6k was negligible and to be honest 18k is negligible too (You get more exp for a daily log-in).
This could be addressed with adding back in random drops for participating in battles with a certain threshold of players, which can include exp potions in the reward pool.

For the next steps, I think leadership is still a big problem, and so is creeping HP.
Coincidentally I remember Diggo has already tested a couple of formulas after the last IFBC that could be brought back and might be usable here, or at least worth testing again.

DAMAGE FORMULA - Update 2.127
Code:
1 + max(0, (min(skill1, leadership, aiming)^0.8 + median(skill1, leadership, aiming)^0.7 + max(skill1, leadership, aiming)^0.6 − |maxHealth ÷ 10 − mean(skill1, leadership, aiming)|^0.6) ÷ 400)

RESISTANCE FORMULA - Update 2.128
Code:
1 + max(0, (min(skill1, leadership, dodging)^0.8 + median(skill1, leadership, dodging)^0.7 + max(skill1, leadership, dodging)^0.6 − |maxHealth ÷ 10 − mean(skill1, leadership, dodging)|^0.6) ÷ 3

Last edited by a moderator:

Beef

Lance Corporal
weren't damagers dealing more damage with that formula? :lol: i dont remember anything about resistance

don't wanna say anything about the new distance formula because i was excited last time the tower updates were released and in truth they were counterproductive

anyway, i have a question, what is "a tile"? is it a small square or a full sector? can someone who is 100% sure of the answer answer me?

Guiri

Corporal
weren't damagers dealing more damage with that formula? :lol: i dont remember anything about resistance

don't wanna say anything about the new distance formula because i was excited last time the tower updates were released and in truth they were counterproductive

anyway, i have a question, what is "a tile"? is it a small square or a full sector? can someone who is 100% sure of the answer answer me?
a tile in a square, it would be impossible to shoot someone from 30 sectors away, there arent that many in a straight line

Beef

Lance Corporal
i need this explained like a total idiot, preferably by diggo
if it's like this, it's not great

1675851977278.png

wasn't it by sector before?

but the defending value went down considerably so that's good, now it depends if it's not too much

Guiri

Corporal
i need this explained like a total idiot, preferably by diggo
if it's like this, it's not great

View attachment 1112

wasn't it by sector before?

but the defending value went down considerably so that's good, now it depends if it's not too much
that would be about 20 tiles distance

Using diggo's example to see the actual change:
Old 1 tile 149/135=1.1
New 1 tile 160/140=1.14
Old 30 tile 149/251=0.59
New 30 tile 101/140=0.72

So very little difference if you are 1 tile away (less than 4% increase) but much easier to hit (more than 22% increase) with longer distance.