• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Welcome to the saloon, Guest!
    This is the place where you can discuss about anything you want! Well, almost.
    Try to not break any of the Rules whenever you post otherwise the sheriff might lock you down!

Considerations about the duel META

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
Hello. I would like to present my opinion about the current duel META . I had to test on several servers because I find it hard to find targets with duel items at my level on my main world. A slight deviation from the topic, first of all, I will ask you one more time to do something to encourage dueling, the tens of thousands of bonds for mysterious potions and duels with 10% motivation are apparently not enough and I don't want to intentionally lose hundreds of duels to lower my level, especially since even at low level there are not that many targets. There are more players, but not that many with duel sets.
Back to the duel.
Pearl's set is, not surprisingly, very strong, even after the small nerf it received. It is very strong with a build consisting in full dexterity, appearance and dodging. It's extremely hard to defend against (unless you are a soldier). Nat's set is good, but it's not enough. Some pieces from the clothes set are great combined with other merchant items (or 2 columbia/skeleton items and fancy leather hat), the horse set is good, but weapons are underwhelming. Harverer's are better. Unfortunately, all these items are not upgradable (only the harverster's weapons but they cost a bunch of nuggets and it's not worth it), and pearl's set (with vaquero/jaguar weapons/horse set) are. At the moment, the attack sets are much better than the defense sets. This makes sense for two reasons. The first is that on defense you can combine items according to your opponent's items, so it's easier. The second reason is that soldiers have an OP bonus. The problem is that the defense sets (with tactics) are too weak at the moment. Only a soldiers can use them in general, the rest of the classes only situationally when the opponent doesn't have much appearance.
If your opponent has too much shooting, you must play with tactics, but the problem is that it's very hard to play tactics with the actual sets (obviously, unless you're a soldier), including the nugget ones. Sarah horse set is useless, it's even weaker than Eire's. Lucky weapons have mediocre bonuses and very low damage, even if they have good tactics. Behan's weapons have a bunch of aiming and dodging, but very low tactics. It's the same with behan's horse set. And for clothes if you use sarah or marshall, you lose a lot of aiming (and dodging for Sarah). For horse sets you have to use mclaughlin or marshall, and these are not only old sets, but they were not even designed to be played with tactics and a+d. We need a new tactical set. One with higher tactics and decent aiming and dodging. Of course, some vigor wouldn't hurt, but don't add too much because otherwise it would be impossible to beat soldiers. 0.8-1 x lvl vigor for clothes set, 0.5-0.6 for weapons and horse set would be okay, but no more than this. The main bonuses should be tactics, aiming and dodging. Soldiers will make the most of these sets, but there's nothing we can do about it, it's impossible to balance the duel when one class has such OP bonuses. Double hp is not to be neglected either. The soldier is the only one who can play with a firearm without having to worry about low hp and the constant risk of fainting if you have a bit of bad luck and don't dodge properly.
As for the reflex sets, at the moment the items are sufficient, but some better weapons like the bounty hunter are missing.
Waupee's purple items look interesting, but they lack the most important dueling skill: aiming. Only the blouse has it, but for that it loses a lot of other skills, often being weaker than the blue one. I don't mind the set, it can be situationally good for soldiers in certain combinations, but there are items with more t/r than these, and those also have aiming, and with aiming you play it safe, with tactics you risk not always winning the bonus and staying with very low overall aiming. Some items are good in certain situations, like the purple pants which really have a lot of skills and can help you sometimes, but I can't say I'm fully satisfied with them. Very situational. And expensive.
A quick example is the yellow cowboy hat that has more tactics and t/r than waupee's purple one, being 5 times cheaper. You lose hp and vigor, but most of the time these are useless, because you use the t/r tactics when you are attacked by someone with a lot of toughness/reflex (but with low aiming/dodging) and you can't defend yourself otherwise, so you play the aiming dodging tactics and resistance/reflex enough to receive from the opponent minimal damage, both of you will deal low damage, but you will win because you will hit more often, so the vigor and hp on waupee's hat are useless in this context. Soldiers can use these purple waupee's items much better which is another undeserved advantage.

TL : DR
  • Pearl set is very strong. Maybe too strong for the moment.
  • Nat is good, especially in combination with other items, but the weapons sucks.
  • We need a better set with tactics, especially with strong weapons and horse set (high tactics and aiming+dodging, but low vigor!)
  • We need better reflex weapons.
  • Waupee purple items are mediocre at best.
  • Soldiers are OP.
  • Very few people duel, and there is no reason to do it except for the pleasure of dueling, which most players do not have. We need reasons to duel, promote pvp!

Guiri

Corporal
Until soldiers' bonuses have been nerfed, I would prefer if there wasn't any gear with more tactics.
Nat's is a "free" set so in my eyes should be weaker. It is not useless so I am quite happy about how it is. It would be unfair to make the weapons stronger than harvester, since they are much more difficult to get.
I have been trying out Pearl and it is indeed very strong, if you set up correctly you win most duels in attack. In defence it isnt that good, but it's not its purpose.
Waupee purple items being bad is a good thing. Imagine if they were introduced OP, new shop gear that makes previous duel gear redundant. Much better it is weak.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
The thing it, you can't really break soldier's tactics anyway, so you resort to t/r aiming. That wouldn't change anything, it would just help all the other classes to have a chance to defend against a strong player with a good build with pearl (or josephine/perry, because the situation is similar). Buffing t/r too much doesn't help, these items are already bloated. Just because one class has OP bonuses, doesn't mean all others have to suffer. People have been complaining about the soldier bonus for years, I don't see it being nerfed anytime soon, although the only ones who defend it are those who play soldiers (not surprising), but not all of them, and as a soldier it's frustrating to attack another soldier, especially on defense, if you know how to play, you win anyway.

FreeHugs

Lance Corporal
I believe a class rebalance is the solution, while InnoGames is incapable of making the correct changes I think focusing on improving/altering rather than nerfing will be much more productive as as all classes need updating imo and at least it'd mean the goal is to add more to the game than just take away. While soldiers are OP, OP things in duelling doesn't end with soldiers. I think duelling is inherently unfair and this has only gotten more extreme with new sets, shop gear upgrades and level cap increase, duels are meant to be a little unfair as there always must be a loser and each style / class should have its strengths, I worry if soldier gets nerfed too hard it'll take out an interesting variable to duels, while it's not fun to play against if it was balanced and re-worked along side the other classes we can add to the variables and improve duelling rather than losing something.

Very few people duel, and there is no reason to do it except for the pleasure of dueling, which most players do not have. We need reasons to duel, promote pvp!

The XP formula for this idea needs work but the rest is perfect solution for duellers and non duellers, imo.

Separately, I think nats is very strong except the weapons. If it's combined with shop gear you can do some pretty damn good gear combo's.

Last edited:

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
I agree, it's a good idea, the xp should be lowered to not be abused with arranged duels, but it's something we need.

Class balancing is necessary (especially for the adventurer), but the soldier's duel bonuses have gotten so good that it's hard to balance anything. The soldier bonuses were not that good at first, now they are OP. The bonus was intended for those who allow themselves to be dueled when they are offline, which seems very ok to me, the tactical bonus should be applied after 15 minutes after you log out. As for the hp bonus, I don't know what to say. Either you buff the other classes as well, or you do something about it. The problem is that you cannot increase the vigor/shooting/appearance/toughness/reflex of other classes because it would unbalance the game even more. You can only increase the aiming/dodging, maybe the damage. It's tough.

Last edited:

PVP is DEAD

Private
@WhyN0t Good luck, if they will change something about duells bro i will make a phone call right to you and say you Thank you so much, coz we are asking for duel change, duel level, finding opponets, xp gain and exetra at least for 7 years :D .

Uchiha Madara

Master Sergeant
They will never change class bonuses because people will complain and want to change classes so it would need a total reset
If they change it needs to be all together not just 1 , even if it's not a total reset it can just be a re-adjustment.

Ideal adjustments:

Soldier bonus: 25% tactics ( 50% with premium ) -> 10% tactics ( 20% with premium )
Worker bonus: 20% aim and dodge ( 40% with premium ) -> 10% aim amd dodge ( 20% with premium )
Dueler bonus: 10% crit chance + 10% crit deduction of HP ( 20% with premium ) -> 5% crit chance + 10% crit deduction of HP
Adventurer: Needs a total reset ( except the product drop and luck % bonus ) which they are unique and Adventurer is the most ideal to farm products and items because he's name says it all , Adventurous character.

Last edited:

FreeHugs

Lance Corporal
Soldier bonus: 25% tactics ( 50% with premium ) -> 10% tactics ( 20% with premium )
That wouldn't work with modern day sets IMO I can easily get 1000 app from gear alone with very good dodge/aim. Tactics will be even more useless but now soldiers wont use tactics either. Not to mention one of the strongest points of being a soldier when duelling is actually the HP. But if you nerfed that they'd be useless in battles.

The rest of the nerfs still don't fix anything, duellers problem is with leadership dmg scaling & workers without insane aim/dodge are meh. And all 3 classes have no duel skills and the rest of the benefits are pretty pointless. A single piece of gear can equate to an entire classes bonuses.

Think the point is not just to nerf but to re-work. We're so deep into the game I don't think nerfing would make anyone happy as in the end we'd just have less.

And lets not forget we're just fuckin with luck manipulating stats, I'd rather actual mechanics were implemented to reduce the amount of crazy variables that make everything in this game feel bad in the first place. If we have more mechanics that reduce odds we can play around, rather than just stacking skills into the InnoGames coding lottery.