• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Hello, Guest.
    This is the questions section. Here you can ask any question related to the game.
    Please make sure you read this thread before you post here!

Answered Clarification of Game rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Hi there,

I've got a question regarding the rules - especially this one:
§4) Language
The public beta is an international version of The West. While private communications may be written in any language, [highlight]all public texts must be written in English[/highlight] or be accompanied by a correct human translation. Certain idioms and commonly known phrases such as “carpe diem” are exempt. We only provide Support in English, please do not use any other language.
What exactly is referred to as public?
I always thought it includes this forum, and in the game profiles (player/town/alliance/fort) as well as public chats (General x).

Now it seems that even town and alliance chats are counted as public, at least two players from our alliance got punished for non-english communication in the latter one.

Besides the question of how poor it is to report alliance members - aren't those chats (as well as town and alliance forums) private areas with limited, selected members?

I personally think it's good manners to use a language that everybody can understand, and I also approve this as a rule for true public areas.
But why should players that struggle with the english language be forced to use it even in an alliance chat where about 90% of the active members speak their native language?

Please put a finer point on that, and if you share my opinion that towns and alliances can make their own rules of lanuage usage in their private areas please instruct your ingame moderators accordingly.

Thanks & best regards,
Bluep

Diggo11

The West Team
Dev Team
The best way to be sure is to only use languages other than English in whispers and telegrams. Varying levels of semi-private chats may have different rules across different language servers. Personally I would advise you keep to English only in alliance chats, unless you're confident that not 90% but 100% of participants speak the language and won't report you.

DeletedUser3230

I must say that the rule about text in profiles, general chat and profiles is fine with me- I would just wish that it would be respected. I find it pretty rude to speak other languages there.

Earlier I tried to ask players to speak English in general chat- and even though I was polite- often got a rude answer.

So now I just immediately put them on ignore. They clearly don't want to speak to me.

But it would be better to not have that rule in ally and town chat- it is crazy that players can get punish for not speaking English there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggo11

The West Team
Dev Team
Thanks for your contributions. If you have a question regarding the rules, that doesn't breach the rules themselves, then please submit a ticket to the community manager and I'll endeavour to answer it as soon as possible. Bear in mind I won't answer any hypotheticals; if you think you'll need express permission to do something then it's probably against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.