• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Welcome to the saloon, Guest!
    This is the place where you can discuss about anything you want! Well, almost.
    Try to not break any of the Rules whenever you post otherwise the sheriff might lock you down!

Skill points

• Thread starter Deleted User - 117528
  • Start date

Deleted User - 117528

Let's debate something interesting about game balancing. So with migration in few years players from new worlds will migrate on older worlds to make them alive again but how new characters will compete with 10yrs old characters who complete year after years repetable quests which gives skill points? I mean, those players have 700+ .

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
This is a seemingly insurmountable problem. But it should be fixed. 500 and 170 vs 750 and 250 it is not fair at all.

DeletedUser500

I don't think the skill points gap matters anymore, because clothing bonuses are so high that they become all that is important.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
In duel, it does matter, because duel doesn't suffer from diminishing returns. For example if you have 1000 toughness and 400 reflex and your oponent have 1000 vigor and a melee weapon, he will inflict minimum damage (1000+400/4=1100 final resistance for yourself, and the opponent's 1000 vigor will be useless, because it's 100 lower than your final resistance so he will inflict minimum damage = 0.25 x weapon damage). If your opponent had 200 more points in vigor, he would inflict maximum damage (1200-1100=100, so 1.75 x weapon damage). This difference means 800 damage per hit instead of 80, which is HUGE. The fault partially belongs to the outdated duel formula, but the 200 extra skill points do matter!

Those quests are annoying and should be removed or have the bonuses replaced with xp/consumables/?.

With events we get so many quests in addition to the repeatables that some of us struggle to complete.

But you want to complain about sp when you can buy them with nuggets. And for the very rich (1%?) of players it does matter (on top of the many other bonuses they can get).

Uchiha Madara

Master Sergeant
Let's debate something interesting about game balancing. So with migration in few years players from new worlds will migrate on older worlds to make them alive again but how new characters will compete with 10yrs old characters who complete year after years repetable quests which gives skill points? I mean, those players have 700+ .
So what you are saying is people that spent 10 years playing should lose all their progress because its unfair for new players? Are you really serious? Imagine grinding all those years to get where your account is then have your skill points get removed because new players that don't play that long think its unfair? No it is fair , as the guy who spent so many years to have his account that strong , he spent money and time. Stupid suggestion and its not unfair at all , he worked for it so deal with it.

DeletedUser500

In duel, it does matter, because duel doesn't suffer from diminishing returns. For example if you have 1000 toughness and 400 reflex and your oponent have 1000 vigor and a melee weapon, he will inflict minimum damage (1000+400/4=1100 final resistance for yourself, and the opponent's 1000 vigor will be useless, because it's 100 lower than your final resistance so he will inflict minimum damage = 0.25 x weapon damage). If your opponent had 200 more points in vigor, he would inflict maximum damage (1200-1100=100, so 1.75 x weapon damage). This difference means 800 damage per hit instead of 80, which is HUGE. The fault partially belongs to the outdated duel formula, but the 200 extra skill points do matter!
Yes but the much bigger advantage is to have a more upgraded duelling set than have more years of quest skills than your opponent.

Besides, the randomness of duels equalises the skill point gap, otherwise KyleJames would have been unbeatable before upgrades.

Pankreas PorFavor

Private First Class
But you want to complain about sp when you can buy them with nuggets. And for the very rich (1%?) of players it does matter (on top of the many other bonuses they can get).

I do understand that nuggets are 3x cheaper in beta, but a similar conversation about buying SP/AP happened recently in .net forum. Let me c/p:

wiki page says:
"Buy skill points allows you to purchase skill or attributes points for a base cost of 18 nuggets per skill point and 54 nuggets per attribute point. Every time you purchase a point the price for the next point increases by 18 for a skill point and 54 for an attribute point."
18+36+54+72......
80 eur = 4000 nuggets = 20 skill points and you still have a few nuggets left
for 100 euros you can buy 4760 nuggets = 22 skill points.

30th skill point will cost 540 nuggets, if you go furter, 40th skill point will cost you 720 nuggets etc.
to buy 40 skill points, you need to spend 14760 nuggets - in beta you can get 14250 nuggs for 80 euros. but, you can't get 80 skill points for 160 euros... but, if somebody wants to buy skill points for 1000 nuggets (you reach that price around the 55th sp you buy), I say let them. they're paying for the servers to run so free players can play for free. I can live with that 80 SP difference

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
And...where is the fault of newer players? I know this game developers have no idea what balance is (no duel balance, no fort balance, nothing), but they could, at least, give some extra skill points to players who have migrated from newer worlds (and those who will migrate). Not a lot, not as much as older players have, but a few to make up for the lack of seniority. It is not their fault that their world has become deserted and they have been forced to migrate. You should thank them for playing new worlds, otherwise you would have been bankrupt a long time ago.

Deleted User - 117528

So what you are saying is people that spent 10 years playing should lose all their progress because its unfair for new players? Are you really serious? Imagine grinding all those years to get where your account is then have your skill points get removed because new players that don't play that long think its unfair? No it is fair , as the guy who spent so many years to have his account that strong , he spent money and time. Stupid suggestion and its not unfair at all , he worked for it so deal with it.
No, i'm not saying that. I just launch a debate about this. In my opinion skills points should be blocked at maximum 750 let's say. That way those who grind all those years to get where they at have nothing to lose and new players can also get to that point. ;)

I don't think the skill points gap matters anymore, because clothing bonuses are so high that they become all that is important.

Imagine having clothes with big + and also lots of SP vs. clothes with big + and less SP.

And...where is the fault of newer players? I know this game developers have no idea what balance is (no duel balance, no fort balance, nothing), but they could, at least, give some extra skill points to players who have migrated from newer worlds (and those who will migrate). Not a lot, not as much as older players have, but a few to make up for the lack of seniority. It is not their fault that their world has become deserted and they have been forced to migrate. You should thank them for playing new worlds, otherwise you would have been bankrupt a long time ago.

That's the point. Where is the fault of new players?

Uchiha Madara

Master Sergeant
No , its plain simple , be active and do quests that give SP's , like OneTouch said , its easy to do. Not our problem if you dont like quests , maybe you should start doing some as there are tons of quests that give SPs.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
You seem to be a functional illiterate. I was very clear. It's about NEW worlds! Maybe I play on most worlds, including old ones but players from newer ones cannot get that many points. A slight boost in skills for those who migrate from newer servers wouldn't hurt anybody. It's not like they should have the same amount as older players. No! But a little help wouldn't hurt. It's about balancing. It's not players fault that newer servers become empty in one year. Maybe they don't want to migrate, but they're forced. They can't play on a server with 5 active players.

Pankreas PorFavor

Private First Class
A slight boost in skills for those who migrate from newer servers wouldn't hurt anybody.

I just checked my oldest character - 743 skill points from quests and leveling. I then checked how many skill points I have in the gear I was wearing. more than 6200. That is 5500 skill points from gear! So yeah, why not. Give 50 SP to people who are migrating from newer worlds. Give them 100 for all I care.

ChickenMcGuy

Tombstone Sole Survivor
The West Team
We are always monitoring your comments about what you are think need to change or fix it, like this one. I will be forward this feedback too. However, it is unlikely that this will happen, don't think this will be our top priority.