• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Welcome to the saloon, Guest!
    This is the place where you can discuss about anything you want! Well, almost.
    Try to not break any of the Rules whenever you post otherwise the sheriff might lock you down!

Let's Chat - teamwork makes the dream work!

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
I believe it is safe to say that the Distance Penalty is the main issue.
100% correct.
But I hope you will also change the damage formula, damagers deal too much damage. Reducing this penalty will make them hit more often. Even the crits should be reduced, in my opinion.

Last edited:

DeletedUser500

I think all of the post-IFBC changes were pretty much appropriate for the state of the game at that time - probably going a bit too far in favour of defenders - but for context, attacks won almost every battle with the defenders usually choosing to bail inside on round 1.
Increasing tower bonus was intended to compensate against the attackers' LOS advantage and control during the early rounds, enabling defenders to deal some damage before being forced to bail inside.
Distance penalty was an anti-sniping measure to try to give towers more of a chance to hold against damagers with no diminishing returns to their damage with the Union Set.

It's also worth noting from the old announcement: We hope to add more changes in the future as we have further opportunities to test more extensive redesigns - that never happened.

Hit-rates completely nosedives for attack around October 2020 - which set was released in that month?

I believe the previous regime's mismanagement of tombola sets and then ignoring the problems they cause is a much bigger factor here - firstly with the union set and then J. Cortina in response - and at the same time as a defence buff, and then, not only ignoring it for 3 years, but actively sabotaging the entire situation by increasing the level cap while all 3 PvP features are broken due to the unbelievable number of skill points in the modern game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Franco8

Reservist
I think all of the post-IFBC changes were pretty much appropriate for the state of the game at that time - probably going a bit too far in favour of defenders - but for context, attacks won almost every battle with the defenders usually choosing to bail inside on round 1.
Increasing tower bonus was intended to compensate against the attackers' LOS advantage and control during the early rounds, enabling defenders to deal some damage before being forced to bail inside.
Distance penalty was an anti-sniping measure to try to give towers more of a chance to hold against damagers with no diminishing returns to their damage with the Union Set.

It's also worth noting from the old announcement: We hope to add more changes in the future as we have further opportunities to test more extensive redesigns - that never happened.

Hit-rates completely nosedives for attack around October 2020 - which set was released in that month?

I believe the previous regime's mismanagement of tombola sets and then ignoring the problems they cause is a much bigger factor here - firstly with the union set and then J. Cortina in response - and at the same time as a defence buff, and then, not only ignoring it for 3 years, but actively sabotaging the entire situation by increasing the level cap while all 3 PvP features are broken due to the unbelievable number of skill points in the modern game.
I totally agree. Another important thing that has going unnoticed is the absolutely overpower of Bull set (even when compared with Cortina, on the grass you have a lot more chance of dodging), which has caused the big drop in defense hit % starting from July 2022, when bull set was introduced. One could argue that the hit % for defenders is returned to "normal", but like lulumcnoob said, before it was increased in October 2020 the attackers won basically every game. And I think we are returning to that style of play right now: attackers are absolutely difficult to manage with right now and decreasing the tower bonus has only managed to worsen things more..if you want also to decrease the distance penalty it will be absolutely over, and we will return in the pre-2020 era when only attackers won fort battles. So, after fort battles regained some balance between attack vs defense in these last 2 years, I think we are now going in the wrong direction again

Etalon

Reservist
@lulumcnoob, thank you for the graph. :up:

If we look at this graph, the big drop for attackers came after Update 2.134 (Sep 14, 2020).
When we had "Fort Battle Formula Changes". The "Distance Penalty" and "Structure Bonuses".

Changelog 2.186 (Nov 1, 2022) brought new Fort battle changes. "We have reduced fort structure bonuses by 20%."
It looks like it had an impact but not nearly enough in comparison to what is needed.

I believe it is safe to say that the Distance Penalty is the main issue.
Correct or am I wrong? Just so I know what message/feedback to pass on to the Devs.
The main issue is that the tower bonus is still very OverPowered. You can also reduce the distance penalty, but without more tower bonus reduction it will change almost nothing. Because distance penalty reduction will only strengthen both defense and attack equally

Last edited:

DeletedUser500

The main issue is that the tower bonus is still very OverPowered. You can also reduce the distance penalty, but without more tower bonus reduction, it will change almost nothing. Because distance penalty reduction will only strengthen both defense and attack equally
Sure, that's why they are manually lowering the tower levels with admin tools for balance on some servers.
My point is that any changes they make are only suitable until the next meta defining set that breaks the formulas made for a game with a fraction of the skill points we have now.

BaggyBlue

Master Sergeant
Another suggestion for improvement. How would it be? Wen one in the Att attacker the distance shot would give? So go determined more in the attacker instead of always in the Deff ?!

Zorro

Private
I am convinced that the most important and only uptade news is now the clicker detector, otherwise it can be game over...

dublik

Lance Corporal
Now i was thinking, would it be possible to change this https://wiki.the-west.net/wiki/Repeatable_quests#The_fort_battle daily quest like this:

• keep the money (or remove them and increase bonds)
  • change 200 flat xp to, lets say 3% xp to the next level (or maybe even 2% so it takes 50 of these quests to level up once)
  • make it available every day of the week
  • keep the bonds or increase them slightly
this could convince more people to join a battle and get properly rewarded for it (yes its not much if you are lower level, but since it would be % based, it doesnt matter)

if for some reason its impossible to give %XP from a quest, then simply reward the player with a XP Potion (that might be even better, since the player can choose when to use it)

at the same time i would remove the other quest that requires you to win 1 battle

please share your thoughts @Loki and let us know if something like this is possible and doable

edit: doing this rewards higher level players with more XP than they would get from building church for 5+ hours, which means they will have a reason to attend a battle (online, offline, doesnt matter) and get 5+ hours worth of church building experience in one battle. If you feel 2% or 3% xp is too much in a day, then be assured, it is not :)

Last edited:

Uchiha Madara

Master Sergeant
Now i was thinking, would it be possible to change this https://wiki.the-west.net/wiki/Repeatable_quests#The_fort_battle daily quest like this:

• keep the money (or remove them and increase bonds)
  • change 200 flat xp to, lets say 3% xp to the next level (or maybe even 2% so it takes 50 of these quests to level up once)
  • make it available every day of the week
  • keep the bonds or increase them slightly
this could convince more people to join a battle and get properly rewarded for it (yes its not much if you are lower level, but since it would be % based, it doesnt matter)

if for some reason its impossible to give %XP from a quest, then simply reward the player with a XP Potion (that might be even better, since the player can choose when to use it)

at the same time i would remove the other quest that requires you to win 1 battle

please share your thoughts @Loki and let us know if something like this is possible and doable

edit: doing this rewards higher level players with more XP than they would get from building church for 5+ hours, which means they will have a reason to attend a battle (online, offline, doesnt matter) and get 5+ hours worth of church building experience in one battle. If you feel 2% or 3% xp is too much in a day, then be assured, it is not :)
This is a very good idea! Although I don't think they will give more than 1% but it will still be much better than how it is now.

In my opinion all repeatable/daily quests should give a minimum of 1% potion and here is my reasoning:

The 2 best ways to XP is by either doing 15s jobs or building church ( or this 2 together ) . 15s jobs is efficient at any level with almost any gear ( sure the more xp bonus the better ) but it's very expensive ( buff wise ) , also for the church if you want high exp you need to build a church with over 500 level at least. Adding an additional source of xp even if it's minimal it will give players more opportunities and ways to level up , the harder the quest the more % will be given.

Also another feature if it's possible to do would be if you make the same quest more than 100 times the rewards change: for example if it was 1% XP potion the first 100 times it will change to 2% at 200 times. Note that if the quest is not daily then it will take some time to make the same quest 100 times so it won't be exploitable. If the quest is daily it can be changed to x2 rewards after 1 year.

Last edited:

dublik

Lance Corporal
Just to add, since quests that are limited for certain levels already exist, why not make 3 daily quests, for levels less than 100, more than 100 and more than 150 and each quest gives a lesser XP potion, example:

daily quest for levels under 100: 3% xp potion

daily quest for levels above 100 but below 150: 2% xp potion

daily quest for levels above 150: 1% xp potion

after that its up to the player to choose when to use the potions

dublik

Lance Corporal
is it technically possible to organize another the-west classic event? or is the game code just too old for modern browsers?

Guiri

Corporal
If a new quest is introduced that gives xp reward I feel incredibly strongly that it should be fort battles related

Uchiha Madara

Master Sergeant
is it technically possible to organize another the-west classic event? or is the game code just too old for modern browsers?
I don't think it's possible, maybe if they disable all premium functions, remove all tombola sets , leave only classic sets, disable the per lvl skill distribution and have the old Fort battle formula, disable upgrades, disable all clothes above 99, then it can be called a classic event.

dublik

Lance Corporal
I don't think it's possible, maybe if they disable all premium functions, remove all tombola sets , leave only classic sets, disable the per lvl skill distribution and have the old Fort battle formula, disable upgrades, disable all clothes above 99, then it can be called a classic event.
ngl i would play that as long as it would be possible

MeadowofAsh

Private First Class
Are there sanctions for those who share the account with 2-3-4 other people in order to work 24/24?

How would they know about multiple people behind the screen? Pretty hard to sanction something they can't have evidence of, they barely can find the bot users, lol.

Though will say, they should have just offered the set and not ability to gain multiples of a single gringo item, as the abuse and cheating to gain such a prize will indeed bring out the cheats for sure.