• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Hello, Guest.
    This is the questions section. Here you can ask any question related to the game.
    Please make sure you read this thread before you post here!

Bob Younger's items with 3% speed don't become better with upgrade

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
As the title says, Bob Younger's items with 3% speed don't become better with upgrade. The speed is still 3% at upgrade 1, which is strange. Until now, every item was approximated by addition when it's upgraded the first time (+1). Now this doesn't happen. Why? Is this a bug or they changed something?

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
The knife, the pistol and the rifflo too. They go 4% at +2 instead of +1, but for some reason, still go 5% at +5 as usual.

Guiri

Corporal
seems like they have started upgrading with decimals.
3 with 10% becomes 3.3 = level 1 shown as 3
3.3 with 10% becomes 3.63 = level 2 shown as 4
3.63 with 10% becomes 3.993 = level 3 shown as 4
3.993 with 10% becomes 4.4 = level 4 shown as 4
4.4 with 10% becomes 4.84 = level 5 shown as 5

possibly you do get higher speed but it's just not displayed. you could calculate it if you want. try unupgraded vs upgraded and see if there is a tiny upgrade not given from the upgraded horseback riding.

Bill Doolin

Reservist
That's a visual thing. Internally they use a floating point number, but when visualizing they don't show the positions after the point. They should show 2 digits like they do for clothes with defense buff.
It affects all items that give a speed buff, younger, brooks,.. .

eg. Bob Younger's hat Level 1 is 3.3%, Level 2 is 3.6% (visually 4%), ... , Level 5 then 4.5% (visually 5%).

Last edited:

Bill Doolin

Reservist
try unupgraded vs upgraded and see if there is a tiny upgrade not given from the upgraded horseback riding.
I tried that earlier and it uses the correct values.

btw the increase per level is always 10% of the base cloth (level 0), eg. 0.3% for every level of the younger hat.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
seems like they have started upgrading with decimals.
3 with 10% becomes 3.3 = level 1 shown as 3
3.3 with 10% becomes 3.63 = level 2 shown as 4
3.63 with 10% becomes 3.993 = level 3 shown as 4
3.993 with 10% becomes 4.4 = level 4 shown as 4
4.4 with 10% becomes 4.84 = level 5 shown as 5

possibly you do get higher speed but it's just not displayed. you could calculate it if you want. try unupgraded vs upgraded and see if there is a tiny upgrade not given from the upgraded horseback riding.
Only when it comes to speed? Because other values work differently. My perry's horse and saddle have 4 attack and 4 defense at lvl 0 and 5 attack and 5 defense at lvl 1. And 4.4 rounds to 4, not 5.

Last edited:

Bill Doolin

Reservist
Seems like they use different ways of rounding:

Perry Owens' Horse (Defense): 4 -> 5 -> 5 -> 5 -> 6 -> 6
James Brooks' Top hat (Speed): 4 -> 4 -> 5 -> 5 -> 6 -> 6

My guess is that it depends on multiple factors. For example Cortina Tie defense is 0.5 and shown as 0.55 at level 1. If they would use the same precision value as for Owens Horse it would be 1.
The 4% speed (or luck, drop chance, ...) that we see is probably stored as 0.04 and handled differently as well.

And 4.4 rounds to 4, not 5.
That's the most common definition, but there are others.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
I can.
For 0,5 attack you'll get 0,55 attack for upgrade 1. A precise value, 10%, without rounding or approximations. You can see here in more detail.
If the value is below 1, you get 10% more with each upgrade.
For values of 1 or more, it is rounded by addition for ^1 and it's approximated for higher upgrades.
5 becomes 6 at lvl 1, 7 at lvl 3 and 8 at lvl 5.
4 becomes 5 at lvl 1 and 6 at lvl 4.
3 becomes 4 at lvl 1 and 5 at lvl 5.
1 and 2 become 2 and 3 at lvl 1.

Logic behind this:
5 at lvl 1 becomes 5.5 so it's approximated to 6.
5 at lvl 3 becomes 6.5 so it's approximatedto 7.
4 at lvl 1 becomes 4.4 so it's rounded to 6. (but this is because at ^1 the game always rounds by adding +1 to ^1)
4 at lvl 4 becomes 5,6 so it's approximated to 6.
For some reason, when it comes to speed, this is different.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
I keep refraining from answering, because I realized that it wouldn't make sense to continue this conversation, but I can't help it.
What "multiple factors" are you talking about? Perry's hat who has the same bonus as Cortina's tie, works the same way, exactly as I explained above, it receives a 10% fixed value, it is not rounded. (0.5+10% from 0.5 it's 0.55 by the way). Your example is not related to the problem I highlighted because I explained above how it works. When it comes to speed it's different, but how and why? You didn't answer me, you quoted the same meaningless answer in the current context. What multiple factors are you talking about?

Bill Doolin

Reservist
I keep refraining from answering, because I realized that it wouldn't make sense to continue this conversation, but I can't help it.

I was thinking exactly the before my last reply. But okay. Let me slowly walk you through this.

The progression for defense of the Perry horse you posted earlier is: 4 -> 5 -> 5 -> 5 -> 6 -> 6

That doesn't mean that the value stays the same at level 1, 2 and 3. As you can see it's shown as 6 further on.

Same happens with the Brooks hat (speed). Only difference is that the rounding, or cut off happens in a slightly different way: 4 -> 4 -> 5 -> 5 -> 6 -> 6

As you can see the issue you umped into is not only happening for speed stats.

The cortina tie was just an example that there are probably different code paths for visualizing even for the same stat types (defense). which makes sense. Depending on the magnitude of the value you want to round to a different position.

WhyN0t

Master Sergeant
The progression for defense of the Perry horse you posted earlier is: 4 -> 5 -> 5 -> 5 -> 6 -> 6

That doesn't mean that the value stays the same at level 1, 2 and 3. As you can see it's shown as 6 further on.
You should learn to read.
For values of 1 or more, it is rounded by addition for ^1 and it's approximated for higher upgrades.
4 becomes 5 at lvl 1 and 6 at lvl 4.

4.4 is 5 because at level 1 the game use rounding by addition.
4.8 is still 5 because the game use approximation for all other level beside 1.
5.2 is still 5 I explained on the previous row why.
5.6 is 6 because 5.6 approximation is 6.
6 is 6 because...guess why :)

Do you understand now? I can't get lower than this.