• Howdy partner! You seem new here. Why don't you make an account and join the discussion? You can register here.
    Already have one? Then you login here!
  • Welcome to the saloon, Guest!
    This is the place where you can discuss about anything you want! Well, almost.
    Try to not break any of the Rules whenever you post otherwise the sheriff might lock you down!

Update 2.117 discussion

Tom Robert

Reservist
Last edited:

ancoonbar

Private
It always has been 3% per week. I tested it.

Also did some improvements to that formula. This one should be more precise:
Current Duel XP = 46.41 * (duel level - character level) ^ 1.6667
It was 1% per week originally, but was changed to 3% later. (After you don't initiate duels yourself for 45 days)

Formula looks great, that would make the required amount of duel XP needed for a certain duelling level slighty higher, but not by much.

Mr. Perseus

Reservist
I think 1 week cooldown is too low. If you want to lower your level from 450 without additional XP (=624064 XP) to 322 (=246926 XP) you need:

X = log(246926/624064) / log(0.9) = 8.8 Pots

So you need roughly 2 months for this which is a slap into the face for all the players who did it by waiting it out (with the 3% each week after 45 days). For them it took:

X = (45/7) Weeks + (log(246926/624064) / log(0.97)) = 37 Weeks which is over 9 months

I would change the cooldown to 2 weeks at least.

RaiderTr

Master Sergeant
Well, a real dueler wont stop dueling for 9 months just to drop it :p
They also lose duels..

But if you still believe 1 week is too short, maybe 10 days?

DeletedUser500

I think the "need" for an item like this is endemic to a bigger problem - duels became Pay2Win like Forts, but on a 1v1 scale so not as many people can afford to participate in the modern tombola simulator we call a game - and generally there's less players around now, spread out over too many game worlds, meaning there's hardly anyone to actually duel at the top. This only helps to somewhat cover up the problem by allowing top duelists to have more targets, who aren't as into duelling as they are and probably have worse duelling gear than they have, but at least they can duel more than the same 5 people, I appreciate that struggle as a former "pure dueller" at duel level 450.
Reducing the maximum duel level by 50 and merging worlds with low Fort battle attendances could be a better direction to take though.

I am however assuming this is trying to fix a problem that I see in the game, but I have no idea if management know/care about the issues with low player numbers degrading PvP which drives further degradation of these features (because the most important and necessary contents of this game are the other players), and I'm still not sure if the purpose of all this isn't just arbitrarily letting people pay to reduce their duel level so they can either farm more exp or hide from bigger badder duelists when they've trash duelled too much, and has nothing to do with fixing the kinda terribly unbalanced PvP mechanics.

TL;DR improve PvP conditions for everyone and we won't need to treat this particular symptom of a failing PvP system with a magic potion.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaiderTr

Master Sergeant
I think the "need" for an item like this is endemic to a bigger problem - duels became Pay2Win like Forts, but on a 1v1 scale so not as many people can afford to participate in the modern tombola simulator we call a game - and generally there's less players around now, spread out over too many game worlds, meaning there's hardly anyone to actually duel at the top. This only helps to somewhat cover up the problem by allowing top duelists to have more targets, who aren't as into duelling as they are and probably have worse duelling gear than they have, but at least they can duel more than the same 5 people, I appreciate that struggle as a former "pure dueller" at duel level 450.
Reducing the maximum duel level by 50 and merging worlds with low Fort battle attendances could be a better direction to take though.

I am however assuming this is trying to fix a problem that I see in the game, but I have no idea if management know/care about the issues with low player numbers degrading PvP which drives further degradation of these features (because the most important and necessary contents of this game are the other players), and I'm still not sure if the purpose of all this isn't just arbitrarily letting people pay to reduce their duel level so they can either farm more exp or hide from bigger badder duelists when they've trash duelled too much, and has nothing to do with fixing the kinda terribly unbalanced PvP mechanics.

TL;DR improve PvP conditions for everyone and we won't need to treat this particular symptom of a failing PvP system with a magic potion.
Yea, this.

It feels like.. they invented this as a "shortcut" to avoid the underlying issue(s) ..
I mean, I don't mind to have it, if balanced well, but it's not a real solution, it's a band-aid.

DeletedUser872

It's currently 1% of duel level experience per week. Given that, do you still think the decay rate should be increased?

Also, the new item has a cooldown of 7 days, is that fair or should that be higher/lower?

To me you can increase the decay to 3% and test.
About the cooldown I think that 7 days is really a low value but you need to put a cap about min duel level possible with the buff or many would be angry and there could be duels like Vader vs Porg.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Iceman

Staff Sergeant
Easy way to fix the problem is to give a player cooldown duel protection, so they can only be dueled by other duelers once every 24 hours
So once someone duels you, you can't be dueled by anyone else for a 24 hour period if you are not KO'd
This is the result of a 4 hour period of dueling from one town of duelers against 1 player http://prntscr.com/qrdpel
This is happening on a daily basis and is going to cause players to call it a day and quit Alamogordo
I don't blame them, as that is pure unadulterated bully tactics and goes against the spirit of the West

DeletedUser500

Easy way to fix the problem is to give a player cooldown duel protection, so they can only be dueled by other duelers once every 24 hours
So once someone duels you, you can't be dueled by anyone else for a 24 hour period if you are not KO'd
This is the result of a 4 hour period of dueling from one town of duelers against 1 player http://prntscr.com/qrdpel
This is happening on a daily basis and is going to cause players to call it a day and quit Alamogordo
I don't blame them, as that is pure unadulterated bully tactics and goes against the spirit of the West
You'd really rather remove duelling as an aspect of the game than KO yourself every couple of days?

Maybe there should be just 2 game worlds for the west, a PvP and a PvE world for berry pickers.

John Wick

Private First Class
The fact that some of you are only set to PvE is really sad. Even sadder are those who want to make this duel system as difficult as possible. If you dont want duels so you just need to leave your city? I dont see there any big problem.

I remember when some of you knocked out other players permanently it was not a problem, even you was happy to see how other people was killed every 72h and now that you are concerned yourself there are very loud voices from your direction The-Iceman :no:. There is the possibility to make this game a little more interesting and even you are not satisfied with it. There is always something to criticize as long as it doesn't suit you to yourself and "of course, it shouldn't work for everyone else either".

We can't just changed the system as you wish. We can improve it but not with ridiculous ideas

In my opinion this "potion" is a very nice idea. If I could improve something I would either shorten the time to 5 days or maybe make 15% from 10%. On this way, players can determine their own duels. If you really want this idea to succeed, I wouldn't make the prices very high .. maybe 30 Nuggets/Bonds for each potion?

And for those who are afraid of being dueled by stronger ones soon: It won't be that a level 450 will immediately go down to 150. Keep it easy ;)

JustAMoment

Lance Corporal
Duels were part of west, if you dont wanna get them leave town. I dont see any big issue with this. Bandits were also thing not only fair-play duels as far as im aware. 10% for potion with 7 days cooldown looks optimal to me. Pricing, well im for around 100-150 upd/nuggets so it atleast costs something since it will nearly "spamable" in this case and we are still able get upd from fair/events kinda easily. But overall good idea, we needed this long time ago.